Joel S. Whetstone
Joel S. Whetstone graduated from the University of Michigan with a B.A. in History in 1967. He received his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1970, and was subsequently admitted to the Michigan State Bar.
Joel practiced with the Legal Aid and Defender Association of Grand Rapids for five years, and has maintained his own sole practitioner law firm since 1975.
Early in his private practice Joel began to specialize in alcohol/substance abuse criminal cases and drivers license restorations. Several times per year for over twenty years he has participated in continuing legal education courses and seminars in these areas of the law. Additionally he has participated in similar activities on a national level offered around the country by various state bar associations and the National College for D.U.I. Defense.
Joel's practice has extended outside the Grand Rapids area primarily to Newaygo, Muskegon, Ottawa, Allegan, Barry, Ionia and Montcalm counties. He has successfully represented more clients in all Western Michigan than any other law office.
Areas of Practice
- OWI/UBAL/OWVI (Drunk Driving) and other Criminal Law
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 1971
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1981
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1970
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. - 1967
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: History
Past Employment Positions
- Legal Aid and Defender Association of Grand Rapids, Assistant Director and Practicing Litigation Attorney, 1970 - 1975
- Delta Tau Delta